Thursday, March 22, 2012

Taco Seasoning

I've decided to try making some of my own seasonings... in an attempt to help remove MSG from my diet. We tried some homemade taco seasoning the other day, and it turned out pretty good! I gathered multiple recipes for the seasoning, and then used pieces from each one... so, below is the hod-podge mixture that I came up with.

This recipe is enough for 1 to 1½ lbs of ground beef or turkey (we used ground turkey). I saw somewhere that about 2 Tbsp of taco seasoning mix per pound of meat (can use more or less, depending on how spicy you'd like it to be). I'll probably end up making it "in bulk," once we try in with paprika (I'm not sure if I like paprika, so I didn't use any this time)... if I do, I'll be sure to update the post with the "bulk" recipe.

Also, Jeremy and I have been discussing whether it'd make a difference to just add the seasonings in with the ground meat, while we're browning it (rather than later adding water and the seasoning)... we might mess around with that some, too.

Taco Seasoning

© 2012 Jamie V.
Ingredients:

1 Tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1½ tsp ground cumin
(1/2 tsp paprika - optional)

Directions:
  1. Mix all the spices together.
  2. Brown 1 to 1½ lbs of ground beef or turkey (cook off or drain the fat off).
  3. Pour about 3/4 cup of water in and add seasoning to meat. Stir to combine.
  4. Cook until most of the water has cooked off (approximately 5-10 minutes).
  5. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment