Adapted from Lindsey Meredith
|© 2012 Jamie V.|
1/4 cup flour
1 egg, beaten
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied
3 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
3 Tbsp breadcrumbs (or garlic croutons)
1/8 to 1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 to 1 Tbsp butter, melted
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes (drained)
2 to 2-1/2 Tbsp basil
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Grease baking dish (8x8 or 9x11).
- Mix flour, garlic powder, and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Place beaten egg in separate shallow bowl.
- Dip each butterflied piece of chicken into flour mixture, then into beaten egg. Place chicken in baking dish.
- Combine parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, and melted butter, then sprinkle / spread onto chicken.
- Loosely cover baking dish with foil.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until top is browned and chicken is cooked through (use meat thermometer).
- Drain tomatoes (may want to chop them up a bit more). Combine with basil, olive oil, minced garlic, and salt and pepper (to taste).
- Spoon tomato mixture over chicken, and return to oven for 5-10 minutes (or until tomato mixture is heated through).
- Allow rest for a few minutes, after you take it out of the oven.
- Serve and enjoy!